Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is the first international fraternal organization founded on the campus of a historically black college.
On the evening of November 17, 1911, Omega Psi Phi was founded inside the Science Building (later renamed Thirkield Hall) at Howard University located in Washington, D.C.
From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning, “friendship is essential to the soul“, the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. That phrase was selected as the motto.
In 1922, Grand Basileus J. Alston Atkins divided our fraternity into five districts. At that time they were The New England States, The Middle Atlantic States, The Central States, The Southern States, and The Western States. In 1935, a redistricting occurred and the seventh district was created.
The seventh district at that time was composed of three states: Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. The state of Mississippi was added to the seventh district in 1941.
In November of 1975, thirteen members of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. began planning and organizing to establish a chapter of their beloved fraternity in Natchez, MS. Their goal was to maintain their relationship with Omega, enjoy the fellowship of brotherhood, and impact their community through service and benevolence. These "Omega Men of Natchez" included: Wilson Banford ('61 Upsilon Epsilon); Vernell Barnes ('72 Iota Omega); Vincent Green ('71 Upsilon Epsilon); Elijah Hickombottom ('61 Upsilon Epsilon); Clement Johnson ('68 Eta); Lester Leach ('68 Eta); Robert McGee ('55 Eta Tau); Lindsey Moore ('61 Beta Sigma); Harvey Owens ('72 Rho Epsilon); John Scott ('65 Psi Rho); Johnny Walker ('68 Eta); Eddie Washington ('65 Eta Tau); and Philip West ('66 Eta).
On March 12, 1977, a charter was issued that formally established the Nu Xi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Thereafter, Nu Xi began to carry the torch for Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. by upholding its cardinal principles and adhering to its motto.
On May 22, 1977, 7th District First-Vice Representative, David Beckley presented the chapter with its charter and challenge. Lindsey Moore, the first Basileus of the chapter, accepted on behalf of the 13 founding members and the following charter members: Fritz Beard, George Cole, Leon Crawford, Bobby Dennis, Charles Harris, Harold Hines, Sylvester Jenkins, Wilbur Johnson, Herbert Lewis, Bennie Jones, Levi Miller, Cardell Ransom, Henry L. Smith, and Theodore J. West.